Conversations Before Sleeping

Often times when we go to bed, Neal and I will tell stories to each other before we fall asleep. After writing down our conversation from last night, I now believe this is why we end up staying up so late, and also why I have so many weird dreams. :)



Anna: "Now I'm going to tell you the story of Independence Day, based on a movie."
Neal (having just told a heartwarming story about a trumpet player in World War 2): "Ok... but why?"
Anna: "I feel we need more spaceships. So, Independence Day. Will Smith was there. And some aliens. and they were going to blow up the White House, so he had to go into space, and leave Sting's daughter behind. With whom he was in love. And Sting sang sad songs about it."
Neal: "Wait, who?"
Anna: "You know, Sting's daughter. Big lips, brown hair. In all the 90's movies. Liz, or Liv..."
Neal: "Liv Tyler? Steven Tyler's daughter?"
Anna: "Yeah! and Bruce Willis was there. And he died in space. And Steven Tyler sang sad songs about it."
Neal: "You just told me the plot of Armageddon."
Anna: "All those 90's movies are the same. Jackie Chan was probably there too. He and Will had some playful race related banter."
Neal: "No. No he wasn't. That would be Jackie Chan and Chris Rock. In some horrible movie I can't remember."
Anna: "Robo Cop? No, wait, that was Arnold Schwarzenegger."
Neal: "That's not at all true."
Anna: "Ok, so what happened in Independence Day?"
Neal: "The White House got blown up, and aliens landed, and Will Smith had to fight them."
Anna: "Oh! I know this! and the aliens got the flu and all died because their immune systems couldn't handle it!"
Anna: "Hey, where are you going? This bed isn't very big. It's not like you can go that far."
Neal (gives up): "That was War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. Nice Victorian sci-fi author shout out, though."
Anna: "And Sting could sing some songs about it."
Neal: "Why are you so obsessed with Sting?"
Anna: "I'm not, I just feel bad for mixing him up with Steven Tyler. And there is nothing wrong with Sting. He could sing, and wear his cool sunglasses and everything--"
Neal: "That's Bono."

A few minutes later...

Neal (starts singing): "I don't wanna clooose my eeeyyyees, I don't wanna faaalllll asleeep--was that the song you were thinking of?"
Neal & Anna sing: "Cause I'll miss you baaaaby, and I dooon't waaannnna miss a thiiiinnggg!"

A few more minutes later...

Neal (whispering in monotone): "I don't wanna close my eyes."
Anna: "What? Stop it. That's creepy."
Neal (whispering in monotone): "I don't wanna fall asleep."
Anna: "No! Don't do that!"
Neal (whispering in monotone): "Cause I'll miss you baby."
Anna: "Neal! No! STOP! I hate you.

A brief struggle ensues, Neal and Anna settle down to sleep.

Neal (whispering in monotone): "I don't want to miss a thing."

Comments